And lo, on the third day of September, 2010, it was finished. A new roof, all walls reshingled, all windows repaired. A couple of weeks of painting and puttering followed, and finally, the scaffolds came down on September 20 to dramatically reveal Comstock House about as it appeared when the Oates' family moved in during Easter week, 1905. The old gal done cleaned up good.

There's still exterior work to be done - the porch must be shingled, about half of the trim still awaits attention - but mostly, the exterior is now restored. Better yet, there were no injuries, and the project came in under budget and early, despite a couple of serious problems with materials.

At right is a short video that reviews the work of the last two summers, along with a glimpse of how the house appeared when we first saw it in 2006.


Older Post Home